Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light. As a national laboratory, MAX IV is operated in agreement with governmental regulations, and in compliance with major funders such as the Swedish Research Council (VR) and the Wallenberg Foundation. 250 people are currently employed at MAX IV Laboratory, and 16 beamlines are funded. The facility is in a ramp-up phase with 3 beamlines now receiving users and 13 more scheduled to be commissioned and built to receive users within the next few years. The facility is dimensioned for 25-28 beamlines.
The MAX IV Controls and IT team (KITS) deliver solutions to the whole MAX IV organisation in the areas of control system hardware, controls software applications, infrastructure and networking, information management and scientific software. This is a dynamic and highly challenging environment and requires close collaboration with the staff in order to understand the needs and be effective in forming solutions. We are around 50 people in total who work in 5 domains in a well organised and agile way. We hold values of lean management, knowledge spread, user autonomy, continuous improvement and flexibility as guiding principles for our work.
The control and acquisition system software is an very important part of MAX IV and will continuously develop to increase the functionality and the reliability of the whole facility to meet the research.
Are you the new software developers that will boost research for scientists? Apply your software engineering skills to help exploit the full capabilities of Sweden's new flagship laboratory.
You will have the chance to face new challenges of the synchrotron domain in a very distributive environment, i.e fast detector read out, real time beam alignment, innovative user interfaces, continuous data acquisition or streaming of big data.
By having close contact to the users you will have the opportunity to solve the problem with a new approach, to become involved in writing an interesting paper and to present the work at international conferences.
As a professional you will bridge science and state of the art software development. You will help to maintain a community and support the researcher to be autonomous in software development. Being part of the KITS group means to participate to different international collaborations about control and acquisition, Scandinavian and European, Scientific or Industrial.
As a team mate you will join a trusted and open team where continuous improvement and mentorship is part of our DNA. In addition you will improve your technique and spread the knowledge on best practices of software development. By using agile and lean management you can stay focused on the software development.
Finally this is the opportunity to learn and to increase your skills, competence and experience. In an international facility such as MAX IV you will meet open minded people from different perspectives. Inside the KITS group, composed of network, system, hardware engineers and scientific software experts, we promote a devops style cross functional team. With learning in mind you have the possibility to attend high profile software conferences like europycon, pysci, linuxconf…
Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful candidate who will be responsible for:
- Developing software projects from low level hardware interfaces to high level optimised applications mainly in python and under Linux
- Increasing the functionality and the reliability of the whole facility in order to realise its scientific potential.
- Managing specifically the software system of 2 beamlines/systems in order to estimate the planning and necessary resources.
- Sensing the User eXperience for troubleshooting and finding simple user friendly solutions to complex problems.
- Participating to the team planning and resource estimation as well as improving the group infrastructure.
In order to apply you are required to have:
- A university degree,
- At least one years professional with Python 3 programming experience,
- Software development in a Linux operating system environment,
- Experience of systems software development on any kind of distributive system,
- An open source spirit and knowing what Agile means.
Working in such an environment it is preferable to have a minimum knowledge of:
- Software programming paradigms: functional, object, reactive …
- Software engineering: test, continuous integration and deployment …
- Hardware and Electronics: DAC, ADC and other GPIO, motion, robotic…
- Network and System infrastructure: TCP/IP layers, OS configuration…
- Web development: Microframework, HTTP…
- Tango/Sardana control system software development
More merit will be given to a candidate having experience of:
- Software development for scientific applications Agile team environment and familiar with the unit tests, continuous integration and delivery,
- Open source community collaboration,
- Working in an international research oriented environment,
In addition to the above it is regarded as highly important to supply evidence that you are a team player and can demonstrate your communication and collaborative skills. We expect you to have the capability to coordinate projects.
Probationary period may apply.
On call services may apply in the future.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click the button "Login and apply"