Respiratory is one of AstraZeneca's main therapy areas. Our aim is to transform asthma and COPD treatment through inhaled combinations at the core of care, biologics for the unmet needs of specific patient populations, and scientific advancements in disease modification.
From a research perspective we work to understand, treat, modify and ultimately cure respiratory disease with an emphasis on four diseases with significant unmet medical need; asthma, COPD, Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) and Chronic Cough.
To further strengthen our expertise and capacity in each of these strategic research areas we are currently recruiting world-class scientists. Do you want to join our team?
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The RIA Target and Translational Science department is an agile environment, with a culture that is science and patient-focused. Our mission is to understand disease mechanisms at the molecular level, identify the most effective target and the right patient population, and close the gap between bench science and bedside clinical practice.
This role covers an aspect key to translational science, integrating omics, clinical, Real World Evidence and literature data to drive disease understanding, patient and disease segmentation, and enabling translation to clinical outcome. The Data Scientist roles are accountable for applying ML expertise to these key areas. The individual will also have excellent team working skills and a consistent track record of working collaboratively to ensure scientific excellence and robust delivery to projects.
The roles will be adapted to suit chosen candidates' background and experience (career level D or E).
Accountabilities and responsibilities:
* Developing and implementing machine learning models with well organised and documented code
* Building or internalising appropriate algorithms and techniques to answer defined biological questions
* Working with the Target and Translational Science department and across RIA to discover and validate biomarkers and build respiratory disease knowledge
* Work in close collaboration with members of the Bioinformatics/Data Science function to validate knowledge extracted from big omics-datasets through robust biomarker analysis in human tissue
* Working with drug discovery projects to answer key scientific questions
* Contributing to and leading AI/ML projects for the Target and Translational Science department while building knowledge of AI/ML and capabilities across RIA
* Keep up to date with advances in AI/ML methods in Systems Biology and Systems Medicine.
* Ensure that results are scientifically robust and documented
* Work compliantly and with high ethical standards with patient level data
* Drive innovation and scientific excellence in Bioinformatics/Data Science through internal scientific development and external collaborations
* Make AZ scientifically visible by publishing scientific papers and presenting data at conferences.
As Data Scientist, you contribute to a science-driven and entrepreneurial organization and are hungry for new ideas, innovative ways of working and continuous learning. You will collaborate closely with other teams to drive efficiency and take advantage of knowledge and experiences. As an individual, you have a positive can-do attitude and are eager to learn in each interaction.
* Strong quantitative background with a PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Engineering or similar
* Broad experience applying ML methods such as random forests, SVMs, penalized regression, clustering, dimensionality reduction in a systems biology or systems medicine context
* Track record of applying ML to projects in drug discovery, development or an academic setting
* Proven deep knowledge of at least one of the following areas: deep learning, natural language processing, Bayesian methods (probabilistic programming, Gaussian processes)
* Programming proficiency and experience with relevant software tools such as R, Python and MATLAB, version control and databases (SQL as well as NoSQL)
* Working in a Linux environment, with experience of cluster or cloud computing (e.g. AWS or Azure)
* Excellent communication and presentation skills, including experience in communicating across discipline boundaries
* Strong publication record
* Post-doc experience or otherwise relevant Data Science research experience
* Experience in pharmaceutical R&D
If you are interested, apply now!
For more information about the position please contact Daniel Muthas,
Welcome with your application no later than October 14th, 2018.
For more information about life in Gothenburg visit www.movetogothenburg.com
Our Respiratory research is mainly carried out at the vibrant AstraZeneca Research site in Gothenburg, Sweden. However, collaboration is a way of life for us. Extensive collaboration with our AstraZeneca colleagues in Cambridge UK, the MedImmune research units in Gaithersburg and Cambridge, as well as numerous academic institutions and partners around the globe gives us access to a worldwide network of expertise and innovation.
Our external collaborators expand both academic and biotech organisations including Imperial College London, Pieris, Bicycle Therapeutics, Ethris and many more. We aim to be flexible, responsive, open and honest and look for people, companies and investigators who share our collaborative spirit and high scientific standards.